Monday, November 4, 2013

Caseros for LIFE‏

Hola! It's been a great week here in Zion, oh- I mean Buenos Aires! :)

Okay, I LOVE my life people! I love this place with my whole soul, despite the constant smell of garbage, bus fart, and cigarette smoke. :) I seriously am in love with my area (Caseros 1B) and the people here. I love the work, and the work is hard. Duro duro duro. But it's the best thing I've ever done in my life. Ah!

Here is a list of things you think you need, but you really don't (or the things I thought I needed but am realizing I don't):
  1. Warm water
  2. 3 meals a day (or at least 2)
  3. Sleep
  4. decent-looking hair
  5. perfectly shaved legs
  6. A ton of space where you live
Many more things I could add to this list, but I don't have time. haha :)\

We almorzar (or eat luch) at around 2 and that's basically it! We don't eat dinner and we eat like, a piece of bread or a piece of candy for breakfast. haha The members feed us almuerzo most of the time, and it's great! Usually milenesa (YUMM, if it's done right) and mashed potatoes. Your body adjusts to only eating almuerzo! Good stuff.

We have to be home by 9pm or 9:30 if we're in a lesson. We wake up at 6:15 and exercise and get ready and have personal study and then companion study and then language study and then we leave the house at 11. And we don't ever come back until 9pm! :) We walk everywhere, but if a lesson is really far we take the collectivo (bus). Those are way fun, because they are usually jam-packed and you just hold onto a bar above you and hope you don't fall down. haha I feel like I'm wakeboarding or something sometimes.


But story time: today we had to go to the mission office to pay our rent, so we took the collectivo. It was packed, and me and my companion and the two hermanas that also live with us in our apartment were all lucky enough to get a seat. But this old lady came on the bus, and so I stood up (as the bus was moving mind you) to give her my seat. Ladeeda. But then the bus slammed on its breaks, and I fell onto the lap of a young man!!! I was sitting on his lap and I couldn't get up!! hahahaha then I finally got off him, and the old lady had to get off the bus anyways... it was a bust. But me and my companion and the two hermanas we live with were CRACKING up!!! And so was the guy. Thank goodness. hahahaha oh my gosh. Highlight of my day.

Yesterday we found a man while tracting named Americo, and he is on date for baptism December 2nd! We taught him about the Gospel of Jesus Christ and the purpose of our life on earth. Let me tell you a little about him.

We knocked on his door when we looked inside, we found the most humble of circumstances. There is no electricity and his house was just full of things that had been sitting there for years and years. Spider webs and dust and dirty things were just everywhere in his one-room living space. Even if we were allowed to teach him inside his home, I wouldn't go in. Americo has been living here for 15 years and he is very humble. He doesn't have any children or family. He is about 70 years old. Me and my companion are trying to show him that he has a reason to live and thrive! He told us that he just is at home all day every day. He didn't even know what day it was.


The Gospel of Jesus Christ is true! It is why we're here! We're here to find joy and happiness, become better, make covenants with Heavenly Father, and prepare to return to live with Him again! There is purpose in everything. Nothing is coincidence. I'm learning more and more every day just how much Heavenly Father is literally aware of all of His children! He is completely aware of our circumstances! He knows how we think and He knows what we need.

Anywho, I just love being a missionary!

Les Amo!!

Hermana Gardner

No comments:

Post a Comment